Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Love/ Hate Relationship

So I have found myself in a love/ hate relationship here in Beijing.

I love the Beijing Subway, yet I hate the Beijing Subway. I like how it is such a cultural part of the average Beijinger's life to ride on the subway very often, if not everyday. I like being around all the people and just being submerged into the Beijing culture. Many visitors to Beijing are just that, visitors, but I am beginning to feel more and more like I live here. I shop for food, I can navigate my way around the subway and I am making some Chinese friends. I know that I will be here just shy of two months (which is apparently the length of time where you can say you "lived" somewhere), but I am going to say I lived in China for a summer, cause that's how I feel. There are other times when I don't like the Beijing Subway so much. It can be hot if you have an older car, crowded to the point of being literally shoved in (not too often though) and people often stare at me hardcore. I get that they don't often see westerns but sometimes they bluntly stare even when we make super awkward eye contact. Once I look away though they still stare for minutes! It's like, "alright people, have your look and get back to whatever you were doing before I got on the train." But overall I like the Beijing Subway because of the culture of it and the people. People watching is kinda fun, it's a good pastime. I like to just put my ipod in and look around while riding the subway. As a western though it seems there is always a set of eyes on you while riding.

On the subway, seats are like gold as I have said before. They are really for the elderly and children but not everyone always obeys that rule, a lot of passengers do though. If I do get a seat I will normally keep it unless someone noticeably older is around or a woman with a baby or small child. As for other adults, I kinda feel like they know they probably won't get a seat so I don't normally move for them. Plus there are so many adults if I just gave my seat to one in a crowd that would be weird. I have only gotten a seat six times or so but I normally give it up after a couple of stops when someone who I think needs it more gets on.

Another random note, children normally have a big hole in the seat of their pants. I guess it's for using the bathroom, but babies and young toddlers normally just have no butt on their pants or don't wear pants at all. Once I was at a McDonalds and a lady sat her son on the counter for awhile even though he didn't have a bottom on his pants. I was like, "um... not hunger anymore." What happens though when the child does start going to the bathroom though...? What's going to catch it? That I do not know, and I am not sure I want to.

Today we had training again at the Velodrome. The past two days we have been practicing quote taking and have had mock press conferences and mock mixed zones trails. Our mixed zone (where we do the interviews) is SO COOL! It has a great view of the track and we will probably stand there a couple of times during medal ceremonies which will be so cool. It may move though, but it will be awesome anywhere it is. I have the coolest job ever! I am so excited cause cycling is such a neat sport! I didn't know a whole lot about it before but now I am going to love it! Being here is such a blessing and such an awesome experience! I can't wait 'til the Games start!

No comments: